Sunday, June 26, 2016

No to Condominium at Taman Rimba Kiara @ TTDI

'Sayangi Kuala Lumpur' they say. Those words are right there at their official portal and yet signs of demolition are erected at the city's very own gazetted green lung. Taman Rimba Kiara in Taman Tun Dr Ismail has been serving the people for years as a sanctuary where all walks of life come to jog, jungle trek, cycle and enjoy other recreational activities. Recently, there has been announcements that the park has to make way for condominium development. 
Save Taman Rimba Kiara
Taman Rimba Kiara was zoned as an 'Open Space' area over 15 years ago and is Cabinet-approved Taman Awam Berskala Besar Bukit Kiara (TABB) for the public. Taman Rimba Kiara is designated as a green lung but somehow the developer has approval in principle from DBKL (subject to public hearing) to build not only residential but commercial lots that will raise the existing population ratio of 60 persons per acre to 979 persons per acre! Even if the project was to provide homes, are these condominiums affordable? What about the more needy community who are still living in makeshift long houses just adjacent to the park?
The faces of those who care at the Taman Rimba Kiara protest on Sunday 26th June 2016
I personally love parks. As a nature person, I take them as treasures inherited from Mother Earth. Parks are where I head to to shed weight and to rejuvenate from the tiresome weekday grind. Taman Rimba Kiara is one of my weekend destinations since I was in primary school. Nature reminds me that there is still sincerity in life. Plants earnestly play their role providing shade, food, oxygen and soothing landscapes throughout their existence. Then come humans with their bulldozers. 
If we do not care, who will?
Our neighbour, Singapore, may be deficient in land but it was not difficult to come accross parks and green patches. What are the lengths that human will go for profit? To those who think that trees and grass are just a waste of space, you will be defeated by your ignorance. If we do not preserve the already scarce nature that is left, where will our children play in the future? Are we lobbying for the extinction of picnic? Are condominiums what is left to be shown to our grandchildren in Kuala Lumpur?
Public park for rakyat
The people's protest on Sunday 26th June 2016 at Taman Rimba Kiara itself gave me the opportunity to meet many like-minded people. By witnessing how they are willing to take time off their precious Sunday to join the movement, I felt that there is still hope. Some came even from Nilai to strengthen the people's voice.  
Placards made by protesters
Of course I encountered a few individuals whose schedule or sleep matters more than the future of the park. One said that development is inevitable and the protest will fall on deaf ears. Another said that there was fear of getting arrested during the rally. Well, I really could not decide if these were self-coaxing excuses or the result of suppression in the country.
I find this very true
All I know is that it will be a little too late to complain about the lack of trees to sit under when I retire later if I do not do something now. I chose to do my part, reaching the park at 11am and contributing to the headcount of the protest. At least I stood up for my beliefs and can be proud to tell my children that I once fought for their inheritance.

This is how 'Saya Sayangi Kuala Lumpur'

One hour of my Sunday sums up to nothing if the park survives for my children to learn cycling and to have walks with me. When was the last time you fought for something you strongly believed in?

Those who would like to join the petition can sign online via the link below:
My share of protest
Protesters gathering at Taman Rimba Kiara
People signing the petition to stop development of condominium
Notice at the park
Cannot imagine all these greeneries gone
The serene road to Taman Rimba Kiara
Trees providing shade and cool air
Where will our children go picnic if this park is gone?
Trees that existed for a long time
Large plots of grass
Where will our children play when this is gone?
Appreciating the beauty of nature
Showing the real meaning of 'Sayangi Kuala Lumpur'
Send all your objections to:

DBKL: 
Pengarah, Jabatan Perancangan Bandaraya, Tingkat 7-10 Menara DBKL 1, Jalan Raja Laut, 50350 Kuala Lumpur

TTDI Residents Association: 
Dewan Pusat Komuniti TTDI, Jalan Athinahapan, Taman Tun Dr Ismail 60000 Kuala Lumpur

Local MP:
Mr. Lim Lip Eng 
dapsegambut@gmail.com

Encik Suzaini bin Ahmad,
Ketua Penolong Pengarah,
Bahagian Pembangunan Tanah,
Pejabat Tahan dan Galian WPKL
suzaini@ptgwp.gov.my


No comments:

Post a Comment