Monday, August 7, 2017

The Time I Went Overseas AGAIN Just For My Michelin-Starred Pork Noodle Lunch

I do not know if it is the kiasu-ism or what! Singapore has not only 1 but 2 Michelin-starred hawker stalls! The moment I found out about the other Michelin stall, I was resolute to cross the border again. I die die must try!
This time, Michelin Starred Pork Noodles!
The pork noodle store is a little out of the tourist limelight, unlike the chicken rice stall in Chinatown. So I brought along a friend with me (but I also really wanted to share the joy of eating with you LY if you are reading this =)) Apparently, there are two ways to get to Tai Hwa Eating House. Stop at the Lavender MRT station or Bugis MRT station and from there, ask your way there. In my case, I followed a Singaporean friend.
Crossing the causeway for lunch!
Tai Hwa Pork Noodle at Tai Hwa Eating House. Can you see the queue from here?
Happiness was short-lived after I spotted Tai Hwa Eating House. Happy because we finally found it and short-lived because it was the queue that made us saw it...from across the street! My goodness! Before our next wave of happiness of stuffing the noodles in our faces, we must first be tested by the incredibly long line of customers, all with the exact same motive as ours. What on earth is in that bowl of noodles that is worthy of this madness!
If you are at the end of the line, it would take 1.5 hours.
If you are already at the corner, you would need roughly 45 minutes till its your turn
Such excitement getting close to my turn!
This closed-up picture of the stall is a result of our applause-deserving patience. 90 minutes of persistence and motivation just to get our lips on the Tai Hwa Pork Noodle. Of course, I rewarded myself with the larger bowl. My legs will protest if I want to get in line again, just in case what I ordered was not sufficient.
Staff who work like robots without break
Dry Pork Noodle SGD 6 (regular) SGD 8 (large)
A bowl of noodles comes with pork slices, pork balls, minced pork, fried fish and liver slices. Now I understand why it has caught the attention of the Michelin referees. The noodle is indeed toothsomely springy. Roll the bowl of noodles in their savoury sauce which is packed with a punch of vinegary flavour. The piquancy of the seasoning can develop quite an obsession (me at least!). The liver is skillfully cooked just to the border where the rawness disappears, making it al dente while preserving the gaminess of the liver.

Hor Fun Pork Noodle in soup
Their hor fun is one of the silkiest I have tried. Just when I thought I couldn't find any kuey teow that matches the one from the chicken rice shop in TTDI, I found this one! Smooth and good-textured, order a bowl of this when you get the chance to queue 1.5 hours in Singapore.
Their pork balls in soup are pretty ordinary but it was worth another bowl on its own anyway
Good food is worth the wait! I am all for crossing borders, taking flights and queuing for hours for a good meal or hyped-up food but lets wait till I regrow my patience for the next round of pork noodles.
What better things to do while waiting than selfie with my favourite twins!
Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodles 
大华猪肉粿条面
466 Crawford Lane, Tai Hwa Eating House #01-12 Singapore 190465 (Lavender or Bugis MRT)
(Behind Immigration and Checkpoint Authority Building)
Tel: +65 6292 7477
Opening Hours: 9:30am – 9:00pm (Closed on 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month)


No comments:

Post a Comment