Sunday, August 2, 2020

Why I Like to Go to Dai Shu Geok @ Ipoh

Dai Shu Geok (Big Tree Foot) was introduced to me during my quest of searching for the best hong dau bing (red bean slush / 红豆冰). I became a huge fan of that eatery since my first visit and now have made it compulsory to have a meal there whenever I am in Ipoh.

Not only I found the red bean slush of my choice there but I also cannot get enough of the yong tau fu regardless of the fried or wet variation.

My favourite place to get red bean slush
I like the meatiness of the yong tau fu. You can tell that lots of meat has gone into the stuffing. Their specialty is their sa kok fu pei (turnip and beancurd skin) and yong yau char gwei (stuffed crullers). But my favourite is the fried wantan! They are so huge that it takes a few bites to finish at RM1. Two years ago, it was RM0.95. I can't find any wantan comparable to that size in KL anymore. You can order any noodle of your choice in curry, black sauce or soup.

The big pieces of yong tau fu for you to pick
Had to use a few bites to finish one piece of wantan. I love biting off the skin before getting to the meat
The famous and signature sha guok fu pei/ turnip and beancurd skin
Yong yau char guai/ stuffed crullers
Stuffed crullers upclose
Stuffed okra
Meaty fish cakes fried
Price list proudly displayed at main entrance
You can order any noodle of your choice in curry, black sauce or soup
Hong dau bing/ red bean slush RM2.50
Coming back to their red bean slush, it is indeed a pleaser as it is thick with red beans, not too sweet and milky. Their ruby red dragon fruit juice looked incredibly appealing the last time I saw the waiter serve it to the next table.

When you are there, it is quite impossible to miss the sight of curry chee cheong fun and rojak on nearly every table.

Curry chee cheong fun
Plain curry chee cheong fun is RM4 per plate. The curry has a lemongrass undertone and just the right consistency. Well, they could have gone easy on the oil but I enjoyed it anyway.

It seems like Ipoh people won't settle with plain sweet rojak sauce. There was an obvious and generous presence of hae kor (prawn paste) which gives it an extra dimension. Peanut sprinkles were aplenty. I ordered a plate with extra cracker for RM7.

Rojak
The food are sold by different stalls at the eatery but the yong tau fu stall made it famous. The roasted pork stall is also a must try. I have yet to get it into my belly. There have been attempts of using the 'dai shu geok' trademark elsewhere by other restaurants but the stall clearly states that they have no other branches.

Big Tree Yong Tau Foo 忠记兵如港口大树头炸料粉
652, Jalan King, Taman Hoover, 31650 Ipoh,

#daishugeok #ipoh #ipohfood #foodie #foodieblogger #红豆冰 #yongtaufu #currycheecheongfun #rojak #pasirpinji #bigtreefoot #malaysianfoodieblogger #malaysianfoodie #jalanjalancarimakan #redbean


No comments:

Post a Comment